What to do at the end of a stressful day? You got it, fill the tub with some hot water, Epsom salt and sink into the quiet, relaxing AND detoxing feeling. Put a towel behind your neck and close your eyes. Ahhhh…
An Epsom salt bath is a great way to help our body’s natural detoxification process. Today’s world exposes us to more toxins than ever through the food we eat, the air we breathe, and even the medications we take. These toxins are irritating, harming, and possibly even destroying our bodies. Detoxification is your body’s way of metabolizing or removing these harmful compounds. Improving and supporting our body’s ability to detoxify and dispose of waste is essential, as is limiting its exposure to toxins. A detox Epsom salt bath is one way you can help your body flush those toxins out even more efficiently.
I usually make my detox baths with Epsom salt, which helps to draw out toxins and provides a wealth of benefits, such as the following:
1. Eases stress. Stress has a very negative impact on the health of your mind, body, and soul. A detox bath with Epsom salt is a great way to just relax and reduce some of that stress.
2. Improved sleep and concentration. Because it relaxes and eases the nerves, Epsom salt promotes better sleep and concentration.
3. Improved nervous system function. The nervous system commands all of your organs and bodily processes. When it is relaxed, as it is after an Epsom salt detox bath, it can function more efficiently.
4. Regulates enzyme activity. A detox Epsom salt bath also helps my body regulate its detoxification system and enzyme activity, which includes functions like digestion.
5. Promotes insulin production. By promoting insulin production, Epsom salt helps your body regulate its insulin levels and improve the function of all organs and processes.
6. Flushes toxins. A detox bath with Epsom salt helps your body flush out toxins more quickly and efficiently, supporting better overall organ function.
7. Pain relief for headaches, cramps, and spasms. Epsom salt relieves the pain from headaches, cramps, and spasms by relaxing your body and your nerves.
How to Draw an Epsom Salt Detox Bath
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salt and 5 drops of lavender essential oil (or your preferred essential oil) to a full bath tub of hot water. The water should be hot enough to stimulate your sweat glands in much the same way as a sauna.
- Add 1 cup of baking soda to neutralize any chemicals and enhance mineral absorption.
- Immerse your body all the way up to your neck and soak for at least 20 minutes. Close your eyes and practice some deep breathing.
- After soaking, move immediately from the tub to a cool shower. In order to allow the nutrients to absorb into your body, do not use any harsh soaps and shampoos.
- I use a shower filter from Aquasana that filters chlorine and other chemicals from the water.
- Apply a natural moisturizer, like BECOME Peaceful Body Lotion, and avoid food for another 30 minutes.
- Drink filtered water and rest to rejuvenate.
Epsom salt baths are part of my weekly routine. Not only do they help remove the toxins from my body but they also help me to feel relaxed and rejuvenated.
Give it a try and let me know what you think. Find me on Facebook here.